Organic Ataulfo Mangos
Peak Season Best Flavor Value Priced
Organic Ataulfo Mango season is here now and will last into June. The wonderful caramel flavor will be even more pronounced and tanginess will diminish as the season progresses through April and May. Yum! As the popularity of Yellow Mangos continues to skyrocket in the USA, it will become easier to find this delightful fruit in produce departments.
- Color? As Ataulfo Mangos ripen on the store shelf or on your kitchen counter from firm with lime-green skin color to yellow with a slight give – they’ll be ready to eat with a balance of sweet and tangy.
- Wrinkles? With most Mango varieties “wrinkles” indicate the fruit is past its prime, but Ataulfo Mangos that have ripened so far as to show just few wrinkles– they’ll likely be the SWEETEST! But be careful, too wrinkled and the fruit may cut brown inside from over-ripe. (I love to ripen them as close to the edge as possible.)
- Ataulfo Mangos often have small speckles and skin stains that look more pronounced on the peel as the fruit ripens. Don’t worry, those cosmetic issues and will not impact the flavor.
- Avoid Mangos with large sunken areas, skin punctures or excessive wrinkles.
- Need some cutting help? Here are three methods: How to CUT at mango.
- Ataulfo Mango Smoothie recipe.
- Ataulfo Mango Salsa recipe.
Recipe: Ataulfo Mango and Hearts of Romaine SaladEnjoy the flavors of Spring, prepared simply in this salad. Creamy Ataulfo Mangos, crunchy Romaine Hearts and fresh Mint.
- Rinse 1 Romaine Heart in cold water
- Chop lettuce into ½” thick slice across the rib
- Toss lettuce in a large mixing bowl with
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Cut 1 Ataulfo Mango (mostly to full ripe) into cubes
- Plate the dressed Hearts of Romaine and top with the Mango pieces
Allow Ataulfo Mangos to ripen at room temperature from lime green to a deep gold skin color. The fruit will be give to gentle pressure and the skin will begin to wrinkle just slightly when they’re ready to eat.
Enjoy the flavors of Spring, prepared simply in this salad. Creamy Ataulfo Mangos, crunchy Romaine Hearts and fresh Mint.
Peak Season Value Priced
- Cucumber Salad with herbs and vinegar
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Homemade Cucumber Refrigerator Pickles
- Cool Cucumber Soup
- Vegan Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- Choose Cucumbers that feel firm and have no sunken areas. Store them in the crisper of your refrigerator.
- The bitter taste some people dislike in regular salad-type Cucumbers is found in the skin. For a more mild flavor, peel off some or all of the skin. Mature cucumber seeds can sometimes be bitter too, so taste the cucumber first and decide if you need to peel or de-seed it.
- Organic Cucumbers, grown without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, are not waxed to extend their shelf life so try to use them within a few days of purchase.
- If you desire a milder Cucumber without seeds that has a more tender skin – Organically grown European-style Seedless Cucumbers (aka English Cucumbers) are in season from Mexican and Canadian greenhouses. They come individually wrapped and are more expensive by the each, but the Seedless Cucumbers are longer and 100% usable with no peeling needed.
Affordable Organic Cucumbers are in peak season this April for your salads and green juices!
Organic Green Squash (Zucchini)
Peak Season Value Priced
Green Squash Tips
- Select Zucchini that is firm, and is free from soft spots or open cuts.
- Very large and thick Zucchini can have more mature seeds inside, making it less desirable in cooking yet fine for baking Zucchini Bread.
- High heat for a short period of time – like grilling or stir-frying – can help you avoid a “mushy texture” when preparing Zucchini.
- Here are some interesting Zucchini Recipes.
Recipe: Grilled Organic Green Squash Salad
- Pre-heat grill or stove-top grill-pan
- Slice 3-4 Organic Green Squashes into long slabs about 1/4″ thick using a knife or mandolin
- Toss Squash slabs in Olive Oil, season with coarse salt and black pepper
- Grill Squash slabs over high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side to get grill marks
- Allow grilled Squash to cool
- Combine Squash with Arugula and 1/2 Red Onion thin-sliced
- Toss with 1/4 cup Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing (any garlic or balsamic-type vinaigrette)
- Top with crumbled Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese (or Feta could be used)
Organic Abate Fetel Pears
Best Flavor Value Priced
Abate Fetel Pears are not a commonly grown variety in US orchards, but in certified organic orchards in Argentina (where it is their fall right now) it is peak season for Abate’s. Some of the harvest stays in South America, but much is exported the Europe…and the past few years more are now making their way to the States too. Keep an eye out for Organic Abate Fetel Pears at natural foods stores and organic produce departments through early May.
Ripeness Tip: Allow Abate Fetel Pears to ripen at room temperature until they give just slightly under thumb pressure near the stem for a sweet and fruity-flavored piece of fruit. Check them daily. Too hard and you won’t enjoy the sweetness at its best. Too soft and they might become mushy or mealy inside.